Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
Fredonia's TESOL programs are online
Demand for English language teachers is growing as more children who speak languages other than English enroll in schools. Fredonia’s degree program offers you the opportunity to engage in the latest research-based teaching theories and methods, grounded in cultural and linguistic contexts, so you can become a successful, strong teacher informed in best practices for working with this special group of students.
If you are committed to life-enhancing multilingual and multicultural student learning, prepared to teach and learn with students from diverse linguistic and cultural backgrounds, and willing to meet rigorous professional standards, this program is right for you.
Program Options for TESOL
Fredonia offers five different tracks in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), each customized to your desired outcome. The majority of courses are online.
- M.S.Ed., TESOL Option 1, catalog page - taught fully online
- One year program
- Option 1 is for Master of Science in Education candidates with a current New York State Teacher Certification
- M.S.Ed., TESOL Option 2, catalog page- taught full online
- One and a half year program
- Option 2 is for Master of Science in Education candidates without a current New York State Teacher Certification
- M.A. in Language and Learning (TESOL), catalog page - taught online
- This Master of Arts degree is a non-certification track, and it does not lead to a recommendation for a Teacher Certification in New York State.
- TESOL, Advanced Certificate, catalog page - taught online
- One year program
- This Advanced Certificate leads to a recommendation for a New York State Teacher Certification in ESOL.
- Bilingual Education Extension, Advanced Certificate, catalog page - taught online
- This Advanced Certificate leads to a recommendation for a Bilingual Extension to any New York State Teacher Certification, except ESOL.
The Fredonia Difference
Students who complete the TESOL Advanced Certificate (AC) program are eligible for initial and/or professional New York State teacher certification in TESOL. The TESOL program requires a 20-day supervised field experience in a local school. Students are assigned to grades K-12 clinical field placements to enhance your professional value by ensuring that you’ll be prepared to work in a variety of settings.
- Public/private school teacher
- Adult educator in a community setting
- Springboard to Ph.D. or Ed.D. programs
EDU 570 Using Educational Research to Improve Instruction
Assists educational practitioners to become knowledgeable consumers of research and evaluation reports by helping them critically analyze and evaluate research.
EDU 564 Linguistics for ESL Educators
Focuses on the nature of language and communication and the use of English in various linguistic and pragmatic contexts.
EDU 568 Foundations of Bilingual Education
The course provides the basic theories, issues, and concepts related to teaching bilingual students in P-12 classrooms.