Dr. Lei Huang
Dr. Lei Huang
Thompson Hall E358
Ph.D., McGill University
My current research falls into two domains: (1) the impacts of sustainability marketing and corporate social responsibility (CSR) on consumers’ perceptions of cause-related marketing strategies; and (2) the information sampling patterns in word-of-mouth communications (WOM) as well as the social media content design in integrated marketing communications. I have taught various marketing core courses at both graduate and undergraduate levels in the traditional face-to-face classrooms as well as online and hybrid formats. I have also been supervising master's theses and doctoral dissertations. I worked in the fields of marketing analytics, B-to-B business development, and strategic marketing management before joining academia.
On Sabbatical Leave
I respect diverse talents and learning styles of students. I also believe that a great educator is more than a conveyer of knowledge. In giving my students both a solid theoretical foundation and real-world examples, I hope to foster their critical thinking and analytical skills so that they can apply that knowledge to future situations outside the campus. My teaching experiences include: Marketing Research/Analytics; Digital Marketing; Strategic Marketing Management; Integrated Marketing Communications; Marketing Ethics
My research interests fall into two domains. In the area of sustainability marketing, I aim to provide research based advice to companies, NGOs and their stakeholders on the side of policy-making. I have been exploring the impacts of different types of corporate social responsibility (CSR) on consumers’ perceptions of cause-related strategies, moral food consumptions, green marketing in financial industry, and CSR innovations on philanthropic purchase intentions. In the area of information sampling & dissemination, my work focuses on how online and traditional word-of-mouth communications influence consumer decision-making. The findings from this line of research have been applied to the design of advertisement, social media strategy, and political marketing.
- The Effects of CSR Scandals on Corporate Images
- The Impacts of Different CSR Frauds on Internal and External Stakeholders
- The Morality in Food Consumption
- The Role of Product Innovations on the Perception of Food Taste and Healthiness
- American Marketing Association
- Association for Consumer Research
- Society for Consumer Psychology
Awards and Honors
- William T. and Charlotte N. Hagan Young Scholar Award, State University of New York at Fredonia (2018).
- The 53rd Society for Marketing Advances Annual Conference Best Paper Award, Society for Marketing Advances (2015).
- Dalhousie Pre-tenured Researcher of the Year Award, School of Business, Dalhousie University (2012).
- A. Gordon Archibald Teaching Excellence Award, Dalhousie University (2010).
Contracts, Grants, and Sponsored Programs
- "Standard Research Grant (SSHRC 435-2014-1250) ," Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council of Canada (2019).
- "The Entrepreneurship International Curriculum Initiative Fund," School of Business, SUNY Fredonia (2017).
- "The Raymond Lai Professional Development Fund," School of Business, SUNY Fredonia (2016).
- "CIGI Collaborative Research Grant," The Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI) Ontario, Canada (2012).
- "Standard Research Grant (SSHRC 410-2011-2337)," Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council of Canada (2011).
- "Dalhousie Faculty of Management Research Support Fund," Dalhousie University (2008).
- "Dalhousie Research Development Fund ," Dalhousie University (2008).
- "McGill Faculty of Management Entrance Fellowship ," McGill University (2003).
- "Multi-Stakeholder Partnerships for Sustainability: Designing Decision Making Processes for Partnership Capacity," Journal of Business Ethics (2019).
- "Partner Strategic Capabilities for Capturing Value from Sustainability-Focused Multi-Stakeholder Partnerships," Sustainability (2019).
- "The communication role of social media in social marketing: A study of community sustainability knowledge dissemination on LinkedIn and Twitter," Journal of Marketing Analytics (2019).
- "Lending a Hand: Perceptions of Green Credit Cards," International Journal of Bank Marketing (2018).
- "Loss or Gain? The Impact of Chinese Local Celebrity Endorser Scandal on the Global Market Value of the Endorsed Brands," Journal of Marketing Analytics (2018).
- "Birds of a Feather: A Normative Model of Assessing Consumers Satisfaction in a Generalized Expectation-Disconfirmation Paradigm," Journal of Marketing Analytics (2017).
- "Cross- Sector Partnerships (SDG #17) as a Means of Achieving Sustainable Communities and Cities (SDG #11)," Handbook of Sustainability Science and Research (2017).
- "Lack of Stakeholder Influence on Pollution Prevention: A Developing Country Perspective," Organization & Environment (2016).
- "The Impacts of Package Color and the Nutrition Content Labels on the Perception of Food Healthiness and Purchase Intention," Journal of Food Products Marketing (2016).
- "Eat with Your Eyes: Package Color Influences the Expectation of Food Taste and Healthiness Moderated by External Eating," Marketing Management Journal (2015).
- "Quality or Responsibility? The Impact of Two Categories of Corporate Social Responsibility on the Consumer-brand Relationship ," Marketing Management Journal (2015).
- "Price versus Nice? How Unfavorable Price Comparisons Help Retain Customers," Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice (2013).
- "When Color Meets Health: The Impact of Package Colors on the Perception of Food Healthiness and Purchase Intention," Advances in Consumer Research (2013).
- "First Choice? Last Resort? Social Risks and Gift Card Selection," Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice (2012).
- "Social Media in an Alternative Marketing Communication Model," Journal of Marketing Development and Competitiveness (2012).
- "The Perception of Two Types of Corporate Social Responsibility on the Consumer-brand Relationship," Advances in Consumer Research (2012).
- "Metaperception, Reciprocity, Generosity, and Anxiety: Consumer Ambivalence and Gift Card Use," Journal of Marketing Development and Competitiveness (2011).
- "Social Contagion Effects in Experiential Information Exchange on Bulletin Board Systems," Journal of Marketing Management (2010).
- "The Experiential Information Exchange in Electronic Word-of-Mouth Communications," Advances in Consumer Research (2010).
- "What Do People Talk about in Word-of-Mouth Communications?," Advances in Consumer Research (2009).
- "When Will People Tell You Something You Do Not Know?," Advances in Consumer Research (2009).
- WalletHub.com (2017).
- WalletHub.com (2016).
- Observer (2015).
- Statement (2015).
- Atlantic Business Magazine (2013).
- The Chronicle Harold (2012).
- CanadaOne.com (2011).
- The Coast (2010).