Dr. Lei Huang
Dr. Lei Huang
Thompson Hall E358
Ph.D., McGill University
My research interests relate to understanding consumer psychology with focuses on how consumers may be driven by different goals, different ways of construing events, and different information searching and processing strategies. I have taught various marketing core courses at both graduate and undergraduate levels in the traditional face-to-face classrooms as well as online and hybrid formats. I have also been supervising master's theses and doctoral dissertations. I worked in the fields of marketing analytics, B-to-B business development, and strategic marketing management before joining academia.
Tuesday: 11:30am-12:30pm; 2pm-2:30pm
Thursday: 11:30am-12:30pm; 2pm-2:30pm
I respect diverse talents and learning styles of students. I also believe that a great educator is more than a conveyer of knowledge. In giving my students both a solid theoretical foundation and real-world examples, I hope to foster their critical thinking and analytical skills so that they can apply that knowledge to future situations outside the campus. My teaching experiences include: Marketing Research/Analytics; Digital Marketing; Strategic Marketing Management; Integrated Marketing Communications; Marketing Ethics
My research interests fall into two domains. In the area of sustainability marketing, I aim to provide research based advice to companies, NGOs and their stakeholders on the side of policy-making. I have been exploring the impacts of different types of corporate social responsibility (CSR) on consumers’ perceptions of cause-related strategies, moral food consumptions, green marketing in financial industry, and CSR innovations on philanthropic purchase intentions. In the area of information sampling & dissemination, my work focuses on how online and traditional word-of-mouth communications influence consumer decision-making. The findings from this line of research have been applied to the design of advertisement, social media strategy, and political marketing.
- The Effects of CSR Scandals on Corporate Images
- The Impacts of Different CSR Frauds on Internal and External Stakeholders
- The Morality in Food Consumption
- The Role of Product Innovations on the Perception of Food Taste and Healthiness
- American Marketing Association
- Association for Consumer Research
- Society for Consumer Psychology
Awards and Honors
- William T. and Charlotte N. Hagan Young Scholar Award, State University of New York at Fredonia (2018).
- The 53rd Society for Marketing Advances Annual Conference Best Paper Award, Society for Marketing Advances (2015).
- Dalhousie Pre-tenured Researcher of the Year Award, School of Business, Dalhousie University (2012).
- A. Gordon Archibald Teaching Excellence Award, Dalhousie University (2010).
Contracts, Grants, and Sponsored Programs
- "Standard Research Grant (SSHRC 435-2014-1250) ," Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council of Canada (2019).
- "The Entrepreneurship International Curriculum Initiative Fund," School of Business (2017).
- "The Raymond Lai Professional Development Fund," School of Business (2016).
- "CIGI Collaborative Research Grant," The Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI) (2012).
- "Standard Research Grant (SSHRC 410-2011-2337)," Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council of Canada (2011).
- "Dalhousie Faculty of Management Research Support Fund," Dalhousie University (2008).
- "Dalhousie Research Development Fund ," Dalhousie University (2008).
- "McGill Faculty of Management Entrance Fellowship ," McGill University (2003).
- "Multi-Stakeholder Partnerships for Sustainability: Designing Decision Making Processes for Partnership Capacity," Journal of Business Ethics (2019).
- "Partner Strategic Capabilities for Capturing Value from Sustainability-Focused Multi-Stakeholder Partnerships," Sustainability (2019).
- "The communication role of social media in social marketing: A study of community sustainability knowledge dissemination on LinkedIn and Twitter," Journal of Marketing Analytics (2019).
- "Lending a Hand: Perceptions of Green Credit Cards," International Journal of Bank Marketing (2018).
- "Loss or Gain? The Impact of Chinese Local Celebrity Endorser Scandal on the Global Market Value of the Endorsed Brands," Journal of Marketing Analytics (2018).
- "Birds of a Feather: A Normative Model of Assessing Consumers Satisfaction in a Generalized Expectation-Disconfirmation Paradigm," Journal of Marketing Analytics (2017).
- "Cross- Sector Partnerships (SDG #17) as a Means of Achieving Sustainable Communities and Cities (SDG #11)," Handbook of Sustainability Science and Research (2017).
- "Lack of Stakeholder Influence on Pollution Prevention: A Developing Country Perspective," Organization & Environment (2016).
- "The Impacts of Package Color and the Nutrition Content Labels on the Perception of Food Healthiness and Purchase Intention," Journal of Food Products Marketing (2016).
- "Eat with Your Eyes: Package Color Influences the Expectation of Food Taste and Healthiness Moderated by External Eating," Marketing Management Journal (2015).
- "Quality or Responsibility? The Impact of Two Categories of Corporate Social Responsibility on the Consumer-brand Relationship ," Marketing Management Journal (2015).
- "Price versus Nice? How Unfavorable Price Comparisons Help Retain Customers," Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice (2013).
- "When Color Meets Health: The Impact of Package Colors on the Perception of Food Healthiness and Purchase Intention," Advances in Consumer Research (2013).
- "First Choice? Last Resort? Social Risks and Gift Card Selection," Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice (2012).
- "Social Media in an Alternative Marketing Communication Model," Journal of Marketing Development and Competitiveness (2012).
- "The Perception of Two Types of Corporate Social Responsibility on the Consumer-brand Relationship," Advances in Consumer Research (2012).
- "Metaperception, Reciprocity, Generosity, and Anxiety: Consumer Ambivalence and Gift Card Use," Journal of Marketing Development and Competitiveness (2011).
- "Social Contagion Effects in Experiential Information Exchange on Bulletin Board Systems," Journal of Marketing Management (2010).
- "The Experiential Information Exchange in Electronic Word-of-Mouth Communications," Advances in Consumer Research (2010).
- "What Do People Talk about in Word-of-Mouth Communications?," Advances in Consumer Research (2009).
- "When Will People Tell You Something You Do Not Know?," Advances in Consumer Research (2009).
- "Effects of Social Consumption on Individual Choice: Individual and Social Origins of Self-Control," Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the Society for Consumer Psychology (2006).
- WalletHub.com (2017).
- WalletHub.com (2016).
- Observer (2015).
- Statement (2015).
- Atlantic Business Magazine (2013).
- The Chronicle Harold (2012).
- CanadaOne.com (2011).
- The Coast (2010).