Expanded campus-wide pool testing for COVID-19 has begun
As part of SUNY Fredonia’s on-going effort to ensure the health and safety of our campus community, the campus has initiated a campus-wide testing protocol in Steele Hall.
We will no longer conduct once-a-week random testing. Instead, a weekly testing schedule has been developed to ensure all members of the campus community are included:
- All students will be scheduled for testing throughout the week based on:
- each residence hall (for on-campus students), or,
- the first letter of their last name (for off-campus students).
- Employees will also participate in testing. Employees have also been scheduled according to the first letter of their last name.
Please review the weekly testing schedule carefully and know when you are to report for testing. You will receive an email prior to your scheduled date with more detailed information. Keep in mind SUNY has made this testing mandatory for students, and has established SUNY-wide sanctions for non-compliance.
SUNY Fredonia has created a video to show everyone the process you will go through. We have also created this page with answers to common questions about the process.
A couple things to keep in mind:
- Prior to your test, you will need to create a COVID-19 Surveillance Account.
- You (students, faculty and staff) should enter your F# as your student/employee ID number.
- On the registration form, you will be asked questions regarding your personal insurance information as part of the registration process. You can enter “Campus Pays” and “NA” for any of the insurance questions. Any random numbers can be used for any numerical questions regarding insurance. The campus will cover all costs for pool testing. You do not need to identify your personal insurance information in the registration form.
- Bring your campus ID and personal electronic device, i.e smartphone (a computer will be available for anyone who does not have a smartphone; you will need the password from your COVID-19 Surveillance Account)
- Do not eat or drink anything, including chewing gum, mints or lozenges, within 30 minutes of reporting to the collection site
- Do not brush your teeth or use mouthwash within three hours of your test.
- Abstain from smoking, vaping, or using smokeless tobacco products for 30 minutes prior to the test.
- In the days following testing, you will receive an email from Upstate MyChart Activation to create an account to obtain your test results.
Fredonia has established a local pool testing “hotline” to answer questions about the process. That number is (716) 680-6073. Or you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (students) or email@example.com (Employees)
The pool testing protocol is conducted in coordination with Upstate Medical.
This enhanced monitoring will help Fredonia pinpoint the presence of COVID-19 in asymptomatic individuals, prevent outbreaks, and ensure we remain open through this unprecedented time. Thank you for your participation!