Faculty and Staff Instructions for Commencement
If you have not signed up to participate and wish to, please contact Commencement Committee Chair Michael Lemieux at the Williams Center, x3143. An online form is also available to sign up to participate, with a deadline of May 11.
Enrobe: Faculty and professional staff will enrobe in the Women's Locker Room in Dods Hall. There will be signage as you enter the front door of Dods (which faces Mason Hall) the morning of Commencement. When you get to the enrobing area, form even lines of two behind the Faculty Marshals. If you wish to sit next to someone, they should be directly in front of or in back of you.
- Time: It is important for you to report to the enrobing area no later than 9:20 a.m. for the morning ceremony and 2:20 p.m. for the afternoon ceremony - because this is when we will establish the number of seats we reserve for faculty/professional staff in Steele Hall.
- Parking: We suggest that you arrive early to avoid any difficulties in a finding parking space; and suggest Thompson/Fenton lots. We are busing in guests from all parking lots to Steele Hall. Parking will not be available in the Steele hall lots with the exception of limited Special Needs (Handicapped) parking.
- Tickets: Tickets are not required for those enrobing and participating in the ceremony as part of the Processional/Recessional. Full-time faculty and staff who are not part of the procession are welcome to sit in the reserved VIP area of the arena, depending on available space. Tickets are required, may be requested via the required form and will sent to you through campus mail. Due to the limited amount of seating, there are no tickets available for family members and friends accompanying faculty/professional staff.
- Seating: Faculty/professional staff in the Processional/Recessional will be seated directly in front of the Platform in the Steele Hall arena.
- Order of Procession: Mace Bearer, Platform Party, Student Marshals, Master’s and Advanced Certificate candidates, Bachelor's candidates, Faculty Marshals, Faculty/Staff.
- Length of Ceremony: Commencement typically lasts around two hours including Processional/Recessional. As is tradition at Fredonia, we individually recognize all graduates.
- Recessional: Mace Bearer, Platform Party, Faculty Marshals, Faculty/Staff, Student Marshals, Master’s and Advanced Certificate graduates, Bachelor's graduates.
- Reception: President Horvath will host a reception for the graduates and their families immediately following Commencement in the Dods Hall grove. In the event of inclement weather, the reception will be held at the Williams Center.
- Seating for Family Members of Graduates: For faculty/professional staff who have immediate family members among the graduates, family seating may also be available in the VIP area of the arena. The graduate must obtain his or her four tickets for Commencement through the usual process in April and then take the tickets to the Campus Life Office. Commencement Committee Chair Michael Lemieux will stamp a limited number of tickets for seating in the VIP area.
Once again the Bookstore is pleased to offer caps and gowns for Commencement. Both rentals and purchases are available.
The bookstore will continue to offer the “Doctoral Keeper,” a purchase option for 2018 for $108.50. The price includes the gown, cap, tassel, and hood in a style similar to the custom tailored apparel. The price for the package including the tam instead of a cap, is $128.00. A "Master Keeper" is available for $88.50.
Purchase prices on custom tailored garments vary because of the many options. the bookstore would be happy to show faculty and staff fabric swatches and quote a price prior to placing an order for these garments. Contact the Bookstore for more information on purchases/custom tailored garments.
Rental orders should be place by Friday, April 6 to ensure delivery for Commencement.
Master Cap and Gown $32.00
Master Hood $32.00
Doctor Cap and Gown $32.00
Doctor Hood $32.00
Although the store is open at 8 a.m. the morning of Saturday, May 19, prior to Commencement, it is recommended that any regalia be picked up at the store by Thursday, May 17.
We look forward to sharing this very special day with you.