Veterans: New & Transfer Students

1. Apply to Fredonia

Apply, as a First-Time, First-Year or as a Transfer student by using the Common Application or SUNY Application. Application fees are waived for Veterans.

Admissions Policies

  • The Office of Admissions refrains from providing any commission, bonus or other incentive payment based directly or indirectly on securing enrollments or federal financial aid to any persons or entities engaged in any student recruiting, admission activities or making decisions regarding the award of student financial assistance for Service members.
  • The Office of Admissions refrains from high-pressure recruitment tactics for the purposes of securing enrollments of Service members. 

2. Apply for your Veterans Educational Entitlements through the Department of Veteran Affairs

Call 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551). If you are a transfer student then you must submit a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (22-1995) and provide a signed copy of this form to the Fredonia State University of New York Veterans Affairs Office. 

Department of Veterans Affairs
Visit the Veterans' ON-line APPlication (VONAPP) website.
Apply for VA Educational Benefits online.

3. Schedule an appointment with the State University of New York at Fredonia Veterans Affairs Office 716-673-3423 and provide the following:

  • Fill out an online Fredonia Veterans Fact Sheet (you are required to fill this out before every academic year before you are able to be certified for benefits)
  • Provide a copy of your DD-214 Member 4 if you are a veteran.
  • A copy of any Kicker Program documentation (Army/Navy/Marine Corps/Air Force College Fund, etc.) 
  • Provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (You should receive this from the Buffalo Regional VA Office after they reach a determination on your eligibility for Veterans Benefits) 
  • Provide a copy of you Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) if you are a Chapter 1606 (You will receive this by visiting your Educational Services Officer (ESO) at your traing installation)
  • Provide a copy of any other supporting documentation relating to your educational entitlements. 

The State University of New York at Fredonia Veterans Affairs Office is located at:
154 Nixon Hall.  See the campus map

4. You may be able to earn credit for your military training. How do I obtain a military transcript?

Request your official Joint Services Transcript.

Send your military training transcript to the following address:

Academic Advising
2148 Fenton Hall
State University of New York at Fredonia
Fredonia, NY 14063
Ph: 716-673-3188
Fax: 716-673-3748

Please note that Fredonia is a current member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges (SOC) Consortium.

5. Apply for Financial Aid

Complete a FAFSA form to determine if you are eligible to receive other forms of financial aid by clicking here.

6. The State University of New York at Fredonia provides special services to veteran students receiving educational entitlements:

  • Late Fee Waivers
  • Tutoring - The Fredonia Veterans Affairs Office participates in the GI Bill® Tutorial Assistance Program.
  • VA Work-Study Program - The Fredonia Veterans Affairs Office participates in the federal VA Work-Study Program.
  • Counseling Services - Trained staff within the Fredonia Counseling Center provide confidential counseling services.
  • On-Campus Housing Residency - While Fredonia requires all freshmen and sophomores to reside on-campus unless they live within 50 miles of the University, this residency requirement is waived for all students who have served on active duty and are receiving VA educational entitlements.
  • Fredonia has created the Veterans Affairs Support Team which includes specific staff members across campus from key departments that specialize in assisting students with veterans related issues. Please feel free to call these dedicated staff members for assistance:
    • Veterans Affairs - Daivd White, Director 716-673-3423
    • Financial Aid Office - Jeremy Corrente, Director 716-673-3253
    • Admissions Office - Kimberlie Ball, Assistant Director 716-673-3251
    • Counseling Center - Jeff Janicki, Director 716-673-3424
    • Advising Office - Amy Marshall, Coordinator 716-673-3188
    • Student Accounts - Lynn Bowers, Director 716-673-3236
    • Career Development - Chris Lagrow, Director 716-673-3327

7. Sign up for W.A.V.E.

W.A.V.E. is used to verify your monthly enrollments online and direct deposit. (Please note that you will receive your VA educational entitlement checks much faster through direct deposit.) wave

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Take the next step