Student Complaint Procedures

SUNY Fredonia makes every effort to provide the best possible experience for students and to resolve student concerns and complaints in a timely and effective manner. Students should feel free to raise matters of concern without risk of disadvantage. In the event that something is less than satisfactory, students should initially attempt to resolve concerns and complaints with the appropriate campus department or office. 

Specific procedures and guidance are available for the following student complaints:

  • Discrimination/Harassment — for the prompt and equitable investigation and resolution of allegations of unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability, gender identity, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, domestic violence victim status, or criminal conviction.
  • Online Student Complaints — Students enrolled in an online program offered by SUNY Fredonia should attempt to resolve any issues or complaints with the College first. This includes going to the instructor, and/or the Chair of the department. The College's complaint procedures, including the Grade Grievance Procedure, as well as procedures for complaints concerning bias and discrimination are available in the links below.
  • Grade Appeal — dealing with grade concerns in the most direct fashion should always be the first step toward resolution. Students are strongly encouraged to discuss the issue with the faculty member prior to filing a formal complaint. To request action when a student feels that an assigned grade is not consistent with the grading policy in the syllabus, or that the evaluation has been unjust.
  • Interpersonal Violence — for support and assistance when a reporting individual has experienced a situation when one person uses power and control over another through physical, sexual, or emotional threats or actions, economic control, isolation, or other kinds of coercive behavior. This includes: domestic violence, dating violence, relationship violence, spousal abuse, or battering, stalking.
  • Law Enforcement — to file a criminal complaint with University Police and/or with local law enforcement and/or state police.
    • Contact: SUNY Fredonia University Police 716-673-3333
    • Contact: Village of Fredonia Police Department  716-679-1531
    • Contact: Chautauqua County Sheriff’s Office 716-753-2131
    • Contact: NYS State police 24-hour hotline to report sexual assault on a NY college campus: 1-844-845-7269
  • Misconduct — for complaints of misconduct. This includes: assault and/or harassment and other behavior, not based on a person's protected status, that poses an imminent danger of causing substantial harm to a fellow student.
  • Sexual Violence — for support and assistance when an individual has experienced sexual violence, defined as a physical sexual act perpetrated against a person’s will or where a person is incapable of giving consent due to the victim/survivor’s use of drugs or alcohol or due to intellectual or other disability.

Other institutional complaints:

Students should feel free to raise matters of concern without risk of disadvantage. The goal is to resolve issues of dissatisfaction as close to the initial point of contact as soon as possible and to conduct thorough and fair investigations of complaints so that, where appropriate, decisions can be based on the presented facts.

Every effort will be made to ensure that a resolution is met that is satisfactory to the student and the university. Students should first speak with the individual, department, or office with which they have the complaint. If they are not satisfied with the response, they may submit the complaint through the official SUNY Fredonia Student Complaint form.

For assistance with other complaints related to the institution that have not been resolved through other means, a student may contact the following:

For complaints about student life and the campus experience:

Dr. Tracy Stenger, Interim Vice President for Student Affairs
Office:  703 Maytum Hall 
Phone: 716-673-3271

For complaints related to the academic mission of the campus:

Dr. David Starrett, Executive Vice President and Provost for Academic Affairs
Office: 801 Maytum Hall
Phone: 716-673-3335

For complaints related to the finance and administration mission of the campus:

Mr. Michael Kelly, Vice President for Finance and Administration
Office: 501 Maytum
Phone: 716-673-3109

For complaints related to the university advancement mission of the campus:

Mrs. Karen K. Rohr, Vice President for University Advancement
Office: Foundation House
Phone: 716-673-3321

If a student is unable to resolve a complaint at the campus level or believes that the campus has not properly addressed the concern, one of the following agencies may be contacted:

Middle States Commission on Higher Education
3624 Market Street, 2nd Floor
West Philadelphia, PA 19104
Phone: 267-284-5000

New York State residents who are unable to resolve the concern or complaint at the campus level or believe that the campus has not properly addressed the concern may contact:

The State University of New York System Administration
Provost’s Office
State University Plaza
335 Broadway
Albany, NY 12246

Postsecondary Complaint Registry
New York State Education Department Office of College and University Evaluation
Mezzanine 5
North Albany, New York 12230

Non-New York State residents who are unable to resolve a complaint at the campus level or believe that the campus has not properly addressed the concern may work with an agency in their home state to have their complaint addressed. The State Higher Education Executive Officers (SHEEO) provides state contact information and additional resources related to state authorization of distance education at Students should contact the agency listed in their home state if they seek further assistance.

Take the next step