U.S. Postal Service Addressing Requirements
- Each piece should have a clear space for the address, postage postmarks, and postal endorsements.
- The address should appear on one side of the mail piece only.
- The address should be centered on the envelope and all lines of the address should have a uniform left margin.
- The address should be parallel to the bottom edge of the envelope.
- Use capital letters when possible.
- The return address must be in the upper left-hand corner.
- Do not print anything below the city/state/zip code line. Put the “attention” line above the firm name.
- The address must be visible in windowed envelopes even if the contents shift.
- Be sure to use zip codes. (Fredonia's zip +4 is 14063-1127.)
- International Mail – the country name must be typed in CAPITAL LETTERS on the last line.
- International Mail - First class letters do not require any additional customs paperwork to be filled out. Packages and flats that are up to 4 pounds require customs declaration paperwork 2976. Packages over 4 pounds require customs declaration paperwork 2976-A. Customs forms are available from Mail Services.