Scholarships & Awards
GENERAL CHEMISTRY (Awarded Fall)
- To a full‑time student who has completed the first year at Fredonia, for outstanding achievement in General Chemistry (lecture and lab; CH115‑116 and CH125‑126
ORGANIC CHEMISTRY (Awarded Fall)
- To the student completing the organic chemistry sequence (CH215‑216, CH225‑226) with strong performance as well as strong overall academic performance.
DENNIS R. and KATHRYN L. COSTELLO SCHOLARSHIP (Awarded Fall)
- For a full time undergraduate student majoring in either the Natural Sciences or Economics and demonstrating interest in climate change, global population control and/or environmental issues.
DAVID DINGLEDY MEMORIAL FUND - PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY (Awarded Fall)
- Presented annually to the student with the best overall performance in the physical chemistry sequence.
DAVID DINGLEDY MEMORIAL FUND – SCHOLAR (Awarded Fall)
- Best overall performance in the combined Fall and Spring semesters as determined primarily by calculation of the two semester combined GPA.
GAVIN FAMILY SCHOLARSHIP (Awarded Fall)
- Intended to encourage students to take an interest in research early on in their academic career.
MARY J. MARLETTA SCHOLARSHIP (Awarded Fall)
- To the most promising Biochemistry student applying to Fredonia.
KELLY/KAMINSKI CHEMISTRY ACHIEVEMENT AWARD (Awarded Fall)
- Given to a promising incoming freshman chemistry major based on his/her high school grades, an essay, and the Fredonia application.
OUTSTANDING ALUMNI AWARD (Awarded Spring)
- To an outstanding chemistry graduate of this department.
RAFFAELLE BORRIELLO M.D. and SUZANNE T. CASDEN CHEMISTRY DEPARTMENT ENDOWMENT (Awarded Fall or Spring)
- To be used to support student travel to conferences
FRANK J. COSTANZA’S GREENHOUSE MEMORIAL FUND (Awarded Spring)
- This is awarded to an outstanding junior or senior chemistry or biochemistry major who is working while going to school full time.
ROY KELLER ENDOWMENT (OUTSTANDING RESEARCH) (Awarded Spring)
- To the student who has done outstanding research and has demonstrated dedication, as well as creative and independent thinking toward the research goal. Students are nominated by their research director and receive approximately $150.
DR. PHILIP KUMLER CHEMISTRY AWARD (Awarded Spring)
- Given to the student who presents the best chemistry seminar in a given year.
DR. ROBERT MAYTUM SCHOLARSHIP (Awarded every 3 years in Spring)
- To be awarded to a junior or senior science student who needs help to complete degree work.
CAROLYN RUTH MOOS CHEMISTRY SCHOLARSHIP (Awarded Fall)
- To a promising young chemistry or biochemistry entering freshman student.
GILBERT and RUTH MOOS AWARD (OUTSTANDING SENIOR) (Awarded Spring)
- Presented annually each spring to the full‑time chemistry major who has completed four years of college with an overall GPA of at least 3.0/4.0 and evidence of distinctive
OUR Future Award (Outstanding Undergraduate Research) (Awarded Fall)
- Awarded to a chemistry major, Biochemistry major, or dual major with chemistry that is actively involved in the undergraduate research program under the leadership or joint leadership of a chemistry faculty member.
OUTSTANDING TEACHING ASSISTANT (Awarded Spring)
- To the teaching assistant who is outstanding and receives supporting evaluations from students and staff.
DR. JEROME H. SUPPLE MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP (Awarded Fall)
- For a promising incoming chemistry major.
BYRON A. THUMM AWARD (ANALYTICAL CHEMISTRY AWARD) (Awarded Spring)
- To the full‑time chemistry major attaining highest grades in Analytical Chemistry (CH317‑318, CH327‑328), and showing other evidence of interest and potential success in analytical chemistry (research, internship, etc.).
DOROTHY VAN VALKENBURG AWARD (SERVICE AWARD) (Awarded Spring)
- To the student who has been outstanding in service to the department.