Summer Jump Start Days
Summer Jump Start Enrollment Days
Fredonia's Jump Start Enrollment Days
SPECIAL NOTE: Due to COVID-19 the Jump Start Enrollment Program will be taking place online. All incoming students will receive information via email as to how to complete the program and receive academic advisement and course registration. Students do not need to pre-register. Please direct any questions to email@example.com
UPDATE: The Jump Start Enrollment Program is happening online starting July 2, 2020.
Jump Start is a two-step program required for all new first-year and transfer students. Each student has been assigned a Transition Mentor (a current Fredonia student) to help them complete the program and answer any questions they may have. Their mentor has emailed them, so encourage your student to check their FREDMail account.
- Step 1: Students will complete an online mini-course, called FREDReady. Each student will be automatically enrolled and emailed directions on how to log in using their e-services username and password the week of June 25. This email will also ask them to confirm their major, this is very important to make sure they have the correct information. The FREDReady module will not take too long to finish, but it provides them with “how-to” instructions to complete their enrollment requirements and get them familiar with campus resources. We will also host live web chats for students on June 30- July 1 so they can ask questions prior to starting!
- Step 2: Students will register for an online academic advising appointment. Once students complete the mini-course lessons on academic tools, they will be emailed directions on how to register for an advising appointment with a summer academic advisor. During that meeting, they will review their preliminary schedule and confirm it for the fall semester or many any necessary changes. It is very important that they select a time and date they can keep.
Parent/Guardian Orientation Program: Parent/Guardian Orientation FREDTalks Online
Informational workshops for parents will also be offered online this summer due to COVID-19 June 21-June 29. Click the link below to register for sessions you are interested in participating in. Each session will run for 1 hour. The presenter will share information for 30 minutes with Q&A to follow.
Workshops presented to Parents/Guardian's include:
- Campus Safety and Expectations- information about student conduct and campus-wide safety
- Student Accounts-how to see your student's e-bill and be an authorized user, what payment plans are available, due dates
- Financial Aid - steps on how to complete remaining Financial Aid requirements, such as verification
- Academic Advising- what course work is your student expected to complete, how students are finalizing their schedules, what an advisor assists with
- FSA- how campus meal plans work, what are FREDdebit or FREDFunds accounts, what is the FREDCard used for
- Student Wellness-, Health Center, and Counseling Center on campus
- Residence Life- details about what to bring or not to bring in residence
- Athletics- Information for incoming athletes' parents/guardians about expectations and policies.
- Engagement and Activities- details about how students can get involved on campus
Parent FREDTalk Orientation Topics Calendar
July 2020 Session Topics and Links
Parents/Guardians are not required to preregister to attend the online sessions. Just click the link posted below each session to join. A recording of each session will be posted the next day for those to review at their own convenience.
- July 8, 2020 at 12:00 p.m.
- Session Recording
Jump Start Enrollment Program
- July 9, 2020 at 12:00 p.m.
- Link to join live session
Faculty Student Association (FSA) & Student Accounts
- July 13, 2020 at 11:00 a.m.
- Link to join live session
Health and Wellness Services
- July 15, 2020 at 11:00 a.m.
- Link to join live session
June 2020 Session Topics and Recording Links
- Student Accounts & FSA: Recording Link Information regarding items on the semester bill; viewing eBills, payment plans, meal plans, FREDDebit account.
- Campus Safety: Recording Link Information regarding campus safety and security presented by the University Police Department.
- Living on Campus: Recording Link Information regarding preparing to live on campus in the Residence Halls presented by professionals staff from the Residence Life Office.
- Financial Aid: Recording Link Information regarding accepting and completing financial aid requirements.
- Health and Counseling Services: Recording Link Information regarding the services provided to students by the Student Health Center and Counseling Center.
- Academic Advising: Recording Link Information regarding academic expectations, advisement, and course registration presented by leaders from the office of Advising Services.
- Athletics: Recording Link Information regarding athletics programs and expectations for incoming new athletes presented by the Director of Athletics.
- Jump Start Enrollment Program and Next Steps: Recording Link (slight technical issue occurred when recording, we suggest you start at minute 4).
- Campus Engagement & Activities: Recording Link Information regarding student activities, community services, and special opportunities presented by members of Student Engagement and Inclusion.
New Student Orientation will take place on Friday, August 21, 2020 - Sunday, August 23, 2020
New Student Orientation is different from a Jump Start Enrollment Day. Please be aware that Jump Start and New Student Orientation are mandatory programs at Fredonia for all new first-year and transfer students. There will be a one-time, non-refundable orientation fee charged to all new undergraduate students. This fee is reflected on the semester bill.
New Students will move-in on Thursday, August 20, 2020, from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. A special Residence Hall Meeting will begin at 7:00 p.m. Most parents and family leave campus by about 7:00 p.m.
The activities taking place on Friday-Sunday are for students only. There will not be a parent's orientation offered in August, but we will host a Campus Resource Fair on Thursday so families may complete any last-minute items or have questions addressed.
Here are some helpful links to give you additional information prior to attending the enrollment program
Cost of College Presentation
Powerpoint about Financial Aid requirements, viewing and paying your bill, meal plan selection, and textbook ordering.
3 min video on how to access your myFSA portal using your E-services log in, verify your meal plan (which is required for all students living on campus), and signing up for a FREDdebit account. Students can do this prior to coming to Jump Start or at the program.
Big Blue Success Guide
PDF of contact information for several offices, specific how-to information about log-ins and things students need to accomplish or know before their first semester at Fredonia
Finding Your Course Schedule Video
A preliminary course schedule is created for each incoming first-year and transfer student. Students can view this schedule in Your Connection mid June, the office of Academic Advising will notify you when it is ready. At Jump Start, students will meet with an advisor to review your schedule and provide assistance in making any changes.