Advising Heroes

Undergraduate Leave of Absence

What is a Leave of Absence?

A leave of absence may only be granted for one of the following reasons:

  • Medical,

  • Military,

  • Jury Duty

Additionally, to be eligible to apply for a Leave of Absence a student must have a minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average and at least a 2.0 average in his/her major. The purpose of a Leave of Absence is to permit the student to return without applying for readmission. Students wishing to return after a leave of absence must contact the Registrar’s office at least one month before the beginning of the semester in which they wish to enroll.

To apply for a Leave of Absence please follow the directions below. You can also pick up a copy of the form at Academic Advising Services, located on the 4th Floor in the Reed Library.

Step 1: Contact Academic Advising Services

Once you have spoken with Academic Advising Services and have been provided the Leave of Absence form, move on to step 2

Step 2: Once you have the form, please note you must visit the following offices and have a staff member from each office sign it

  • Financial Aid (2nd Floor Maytum Hall) - will inform students the implications the withdrawal will have on their financial aid
  • Student Accounts (3rd Floor Maytum Hall) - will provide information regarding how your semester bill will be adjusted as a result of your withdrawal.  Students may not be eligible for all of their financial aid, and this will be discussed when we sign your form.
  • Residence Life (1st Floor Gregory Hall) - will inform students about their card access and will discuss the process required for properly checking-out of the residence hall
  • FSA (1st Floor Gregory Hall) - provides an opportunity for students to ask questions and will ensure timely account cancellations

Step 3: When the form is complete with all mandatory signatures*

  • Return form to Academic Advising Services, 4th Floor - Reed Library  (or)
  • Scan and email with Subject 'Leave of Absence Form Submission' to

Step 4: Provide Required Documentation to Student Affairs*

  • Medical Documentation Required

    • an original, signed affidavit from a licensed medical provider, licensed mental health provider or an equivalent healthcare provider (not a relative) on letterhead indicating that the student is unable to continue enrollment, or to continue enrollment in specific courses. The evidence must state that the student’s medical/psychological condition is of sufficient severity to make continued enrollment problematic. If the affidavit does not specify courses in which the student may remain enrolled, the student will be withdrawn from all courses.

  • Military Documentation Required

    • must present a copy of their military orders  
*Both steps 3 and 4 must be completed to be eligible for a Leave of Absence

Important Information About Your Withdrawal

  • Once a leave of absence is approved, if applicable, the student must officially check out of on-campus housing within 24 hours.

  • A student shall not be exempt from disciplinary proceedings for behavioral infractions which occurred prior to leaving. A withdrawal or leave of absence does not override a student conduct (judicial) referral.

  • International students must consult with International Support Services before submitting form.

  • Students who are using Military and/or Veteran Benefits should contact Veteran Support Services before submitting form to determine eligibility for future funding.

  • Students in the Educational Development Program (EDP) should consult with their EOP counselor before submitting form to determine eligibility for future EDP funding.

Before you return from a medical leave of absence, please read the following for information on how-to and the process for returning.

  • By January 1 (spring semester), May 1 (summer sessions), or August 1 (fall semester) have your licensed treatment provider(s) complete the Questionnaire for Return from Medical Withdrawal | Leave of Absence and send to Student Affairs, 701 Maytum Hall, SUNY Fredonia, Fredonia, NY 14063 - fax to 716-673-3583 or email: student.affairs 

  • The medical/mental health provider and/or student who would like to discuss options for support on campus and the student’s readiness to return is encouraged to consult with our Student Health Center (716-673-3131) or Counseling Center (716-673-3424). Additionally, Academic Advising (716-673-3188) can assist the student in discussing academic options, including alternatives if the student is not quite ready to return. 

  • Please also complete and submit the appropriate Health Center or Counseling Center Release of Information form to allow your treatment provider to communicate with the appropriate office at Fredonia.

  • Student Affairs will notify the Registrar of your clearance to return. If you haven't already done so, you'll also need to submit your application to the Registrar for readmission/reinstatement.

  • Before the start of the semester, Fredonia’s Care Coordinator will make contact with the student (by phone or in person) to discuss a wellness plan for their return


What is a Withdrawal?

What is the Not Returning Process? 

What is a Leave of Absence?

What is a Medical Withdrawal?

What is Reinstatement / Readmission?

Things to Consider

Academic Advising Services

4th Floor - Reed Library

phone: 716-673-3188


Take the next step