These requirements are for applicants to master's degree and advanced certificate programs. Applicants who wish to take graduate coursework without seeking a degree or certificate should contact the Extended Learning office.
Cumulative Preferred GPA: 3.0 (Department requirements vary; please see specific program requirements below)
Application fee: $75 for all programs except Speech-Language Pathology (the application fee is waived for EOP/EDP participants and McNair Scholars. Please contact the Graduate Studies office to have the fee waived).
Statement of Intent/Personal Essay
- Minimum/maximum: One page preferred.
- Topic: See specific program requirements. If none are listed, please write a one-page essay about your educational and professional strengths and your reasons for pursuing your chosen degree program.
- Address to: Admissions committee.
- Please feel free to view this workshop for tips on how to write a strong statement of intent.
- Official transcripts with degree conferral are required after you completed your degree from your previous institution. Official transcripts need to be sent to Fredonia directly from the institution(s) you attended.
- Applicants who have attended or are attending SUNY Fredonia for their undergraduate degrees are not required to submit transcripts, unless they are applying for the Speech-Language Pathology degree program.
- International applicants must meet transcript requirements detailed on this page.
Two recommendation letters
- Online (preferred): see application for details (Speech applicants must use the portal in the CSDCAS application).
- Offline: Please contact the Graduate Studies office to request this option.
- Must obtain approval from a thesis advisor (thesis track)
Education (all master's-level programs)
- New York State teaching certification: Must submit within the first semester of graduate work.
- DASA training: Must submit within the first semester of graduate work.
Educational Leadership (Advanced Certificate)
- Valid New York State Education Department (NYSED) professional teaching certification or equivalent in a core area.
- Master’s Degree in education or a related field with a minimum final GPA of 3.0.
- Three years of satisfactory teaching or professional experience in a PreK-12 school or its equivalent.
- Evidence of completion of DASA training for New York State (Applicants may be conditionally accepted pending completion of DASA).
- Two written recommendations, one each from the applicant’s district superintendent and immediate supervisor.
Music Performance, Theory/Composition, Music Ed. Recital Track
TESOL and Language and Learning
Click here for international application requirements.