Appeal of Federal Student Aid
During the course of a year, a family may experience unemployment, death, or disability of a wage earner. These cases are grounds for a review of the applicant's aid eligibility. The procedure for filing an appeal due to severe income changes within a family is as follows:
- The initial FAFSA/Renewal FAFSA using prior prior year income has been filed by the family and the resulting Student Aid Report (SAR) has been received by the student.
- Current year family income has been reduced due to unemployment for a period of 12 weeks or more, death or disability.
- Please submit the appeal application and any additional documentation that supports your appeal claim.
- The appeal is evaluated and eligibility is recalculated if possible.
- A response regarding the appeal determination is sent to the student.