- What is the FRED Laptop Program (FLP)?
Through the FRED Laptop Program (FLP), Fredonia has partnered with top manufacturers to fully support students' computing needs and help enable and ensure their academic success. Program participants will receive an enterprise-grade laptop pre-configured for Fredonia, as well as premium warranties, and comprehensive on-campus support services. All Fredonia students will have the option to participate in the program.
- What are the FLP goals?
Provide every student with a high-quality Windows or Macintosh laptop that meets their computing needs throughout their academic career.
- Accessibility and Flexibility - laptops will provide a higher degree of accessibility to digital content and the flexibility to participate in digital learning
- Support - laptops will be fully supported through the ITS Service Center via standard and extended warranty programs
- Compatibility - laptops will be compatible with existing University electronic systems and services
- Durability - laptop options provided to students will be chosen based on expected life-cycle and durability features
- What are the FLP benefits?
The benefits of the FLP include the following:
- provides students with a compatible and fully supported device for their academic career
- provides students with the affordable option to spread the cost of the laptop over four semesters (2 years)
- provides for a standardized and predictable computing environment for instruction
- convenient, flexible, and fast laptop support options for students facilitated onsite
- easy transition to the remote learning environment
- How are laptop options chosen for the FLP?
The Student Computing Sub-Committee of the Information Technology Advisory Board addresses specifications for student laptops offered each based on input from students, faculty, and ITS.
- What will the program recipients receive through participating in the FLP?
- An enterprise-grade, state-of-the-art laptop well suited for the Fredonia experience
- Four-year international manufacturer's warranty with accidental damage protection
- On-campus help desk support
- On-campus hardware repair services
- Free loaner laptops during repairs and service
- Who will be eligible to participate in the FLP?
All Fredonia students are eligible to participate in FLP.
- When is the deadline for students to participate in the FLP?
Students may participate in the FLP or change the original order by June 19th.
- When will students be able to participate in the FLP?
All Fredonia students will be able to participate in the FLP beginning in the spring of 2022 with laptop distribution scheduled before the beginning of the Fall 2022 semester (typically late August).
- What laptop options will be available through the FLP?
The FLP will offer a moderately and advanced spec’d enterprise-grade laptop from Dell and Apple.
- How do I participate in the Program?
Students may participate by logging into YourConnection and going to the FRED Laptop page to select their laptop for ordering and agree to the lease-to-own terms and conditions.
- What laptop is preferred for my Major?
Please review the Student Technology Recommendations and Resources.
- What standardized software will come with the FLP laptops?
Each laptop will be equipped with the latest Microsoft or Macintosh operating system. Office 365 is available for download by all currently enrolled students. Students may obtain assistance with the installation from the ITS Service Center located in Thompson Hall at 716-673-3407 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When does the student own the laptop?
The student is actually leasing the laptop via a lease-to-own program. The student will own the device when the last payment is received and with all applicable taxes. Students are billed in four installments over four semesters. If a student leaves school or takes a semester off prior to paying for their laptop, they must return the computer or pay the balance (plus taxes) still owed on the system. Students will also have the option to be billed for the entire amount of the laptop on their first-semester bill and would receive a discounted price for doing so. SUNY Fredonia Billing Procedures and Payment Requirements apply.
- What if the laptop gets damaged or stolen?
The ITS Service Center is equipped with an in-house warranty and repair shop that can perform warranty and non-warranty work on Dell and Apple FLP laptops issued to students. If an FLP laptop gets stolen, students will need to work with the University Police department to address the incident. Students are still responsible for the bill for the laptop if it lost or stolen.
- Why is the program operated in this manner?
Students sign a Student Agreement, which allows them the use of the computer until it is paid in full. Repairs to these laptops can be hundreds of dollars. If the problem with the laptop is considered a warranty item, the student pays only applicable deductibles to repair the laptop.
- Does the FLP offer a “loaner system” for students?
Yes. When an FLP laptop has to be sent out for warranty repairs, the student is able to receive a loaner laptop while theirs is being repaired.
- When can a student upgrade their laptop?
Students may, at no time, upgrade the hardware on the laptops until the laptop bill has been paid in full and ownership has been transferred to the student. Once all required payments for the laptop have been received, ownership will be transferred to the student.
- Is the student permitted to take their laptop with them on college breaks?
Students are allowed to take their laptops with them over breaks if they are registered for the next semester. If they have not paid in full or returned to SUNY Fredonia, they will be charged for the balance due on the laptop. SUNY Fredonia Billing Procedures and Payment Requirements apply.
- What do I do if I'm not returning to campus?
If you are not returning to campus next semester and have not paid for your laptop in full, laptops must be returned to the SUNY Fredonia ITS Service Center or students can pay the remaining balance due on the laptop. Students will not be given a credit for the laptop if their turn it into the University. Students may mail their laptop via certified mail to the ITS Service Center using the following address:
ITS Service Center
2nd Floor Thompson Hall
280 Central Ave
Fredonia, NY 14063
If you leave campus without purchasing the laptop, charges and holds will be placed on your student records. SUNY Fredonia Billing Procedures and Payment Requirements apply.