ISS Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What is the status of my Fredonia application?

You may access your current application status by visiting the Admissions website. You will need your Fredonia student identification number in order to log on. Your student identification number will be emailed to you upon receipt of your application. Your PIN (personal identification number) is your 6 digit date of birth in 2-digit month, 2-digit date, 2-digit year format. For example, July 10, 1988 is 071088.

What is my SUNY Fredonia ID (Fredonia student identification number)?

We will email your Fredonia ID once we receive your application. If you have not received your Fredonia ID within two weeks from the time you applied, please contact us and we will provide this information. You may contact Fredonia Admissions Office by telephone at 716-673-3251 or e-mail

What do I have to do to maintain my F-1 Student Visa status?

It's easy: you must be a full time student, you must not engage in unauthorized off campus work, you must report  changes to your local or permanent address and declared major/minor to your on campus immigration advisor.

My passport is going to expire before I leave the USA to return home, what should I do?

Since it is illegal to be in the USA with an expired passport, contact the consulate or embassy representing your home country to find out how to get a new passport before your old one expires.  

My F-1 student visa is going to expire soon, what should I do?

As long as you stay in the USA and you are maintaining your F-1 Student visa status, you don't need to do a thing!  But, as soon as you travel out of the USA*, you will need to get a new visa to reenter the USA. * Special rules apply when traveling to Mexico or Canada, talk with your immigration student advisor for further information.

I forgot to turn in my I-94 Departure Card when I left the USA - What should I do?

If you left the USA by airplane or cruise ship, just hold onto your I-94 card and show it when you reenter the USA the next time.  If you left the USA by car or bus, you must mail your I-94 Departure card to the Department of Homeland Security as soon as you return home. If you fail to do this your visa may be subject to cancellation. Further information and instructions can be found at: