Continuing Education Courses
Friday, October 13, 2023:
Trauma-Informed Care for Providers
Rachel Archambault, M.A., CCC-SLP, ASHA Innovator, is SLP Program Specialist at Broward County Public Schools. After experiencing a traumatic event at her workplace on February 14 2018, she began to look for ways to help students and herself deal with trauma. She discovered trauma-informed care and has been presenting nationally to SLP’s and other service providers on how TIC can be used in their setting. She runs the Instagram account, @PTSD.SLP, which discusses TIC from a speech lens. She received her Bachelor and Master of Arts degrees from University of Central Florida. She was named an ASHA Innovator in March of 2023.
Course Objectives. After completing this course, participants will be able to:
1. Discuss the prevalence and impact of trauma
2. Demonstrate understanding of the history of trauma-informed care and the neurodiversity movement
3. Apply language and behavioral changes to reduce possible harm, trauma, and re-traumatization
8:15-8:30 Opening Remarks
8:30-9:30 Trauma & PTSD
9:45-11:45 What is Trauma-Informed Care?
12:30-2:30 Language Changes & Counseling
2:45-3:45 After Known Trauma
3:45-4:00 Q & A
1. Relevant Financial Relationships:
2. Salaried full-time employee of Broward County Public Schools
3. Receiving a stipend, travel and hotel expenses for speaking at today’s educational conference
4. Owner of PTSD SLP LLC, paid consultant on trauma-informed care
Relevant Nonfinancial Relationships:
1. Volunteer teaching/speaking engagements for student associations
2. Professional affiliations include memberships in ASHA, ASHA's Counseling Special Interest Group, and the Florida Association of Speech-Language Pathologists & Audiologists (FLASHA).
This course is offered for .6 ASHA CEUs, Various levels, Professional area