Speech Pathology

CDS Frequently Asked Questions

The following list is a compilation of questions usually asked by applicants. 

When will acceptance letters be sent to those who apply to the department? Are declination or waiting list letters sent out?

Acceptance, rejection, and wait list letters are generally sent out during March. Applicants on the wait list will be informed of their status by the Graduate Studies Office, per electronic mail.

What factors/qualities are evaluated when an applicant is being considered for acceptance into the Speech-Language Pathology program?

GPA is considered in addition to professional references, experience, extracurricular activities, GRE test scores, and an intent letter.

Are GRE scores necessary for application?

What different types of clinical placements are available?

Fredonia has many agreements with hospitals, outpatient rehabilitation centers, skilled nursing facilities, adult treatment centers, clinics, childhood centers, and schools.

Are externships available in my hometown (especially for those living in Canada or another state)?

Placements outside of the Western New York area are possible, but are subject to establishment of an Affiliation Agreement, availability of an ASHA certified supervisor, and the distance from Fredonia.

Placements in Canada are extremely limited due to availability of ASHA certified Speech Language Pathologists and Canadian University students given placement priority.

Establishing outside affiliation agreements is a time consuming process. As such, new affiliation agreements are only pursued if they can be established within a reasonable amount of time and effort.

All Students should anticipate completing Graduate Student Teaching and/or Advanced Clinical Practice within the Western New York area and make housing arrangements accordingly.

Will Canadian requirements for each providence in Canada be met and will advisement be available to help meet these requirements?

Typically, Canadian certification can be met, however students are responsible for tracking clinical hour requirements according to the Canadian providence they seek to register.  Canadian students who plan to work in Ontario need to consult the College of Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of Ontario (CASLPO) requirements.   

What undergraduate courses are necessary to be accepted into the graduate program?

An undergraduate degree in Speech Language Pathology is not necessary for acceptance. If you have an undergraduate degree in a different discipline, then the department may advise you of what courses you would need to complete in order to be accepted into the graduate program.

Are financial aid grants, student teaching assistantships, or tuition waivers available? If so, how do I apply?

All students who are accepted into the program may be considered for the types of financial assistance available. They are awarded based upon financial need and merit.

ASHA Code of Ethics

ASHA steps for Certification

Graduate Advising Process in CDS

Itemized Agenda for Licensure and CCC Applications

Form 1.2

Take the next step