Lighted Blue Neurons

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


Courses  Clubs/Activities  Changing/Declaring a Major or a Minor  Graduate School  Misc.


I think my instructor made a mistake in my course grade. What should I do?
You should first see the instructor and talk with him/her about the grade. There are times when an instructor just makes a mistake. If that does not resolve the issue, see the department chairperson in Thompson W357.

How do I get into a closed course?
You should contact the instructor of that course.

How do I find out what a course is about?
Go to the Fredonia webpage called "Student Resources", and click on the box that says "Courses" in the left hand column to read the course description, or speak to the instructor of the course.

Where do I go for help in a course that I am having difficulty with?
See the instructor of the course during his/her office hours, but also go to the Learning Center on the fourth floor of the Library.

How do I withdraw from a course?
If it is past the drop deadline then you need to fill out a form. Get the form from the Registrar's office or the Psych Dept office, fill it out and have it signed by your advisor or the department chairperson.

How do I enroll for an internship?
The requirements for internship application are on the Psychology Department internship homepage. The deadlines for application are listed there, as well as the name of the current internship supervisor.

How do I enroll for an independent study with a professor?
Contact individual professors that you might like to work with, or who are conducting research in a topic that you are interested in. You can read about their research interests on the home page for that faculty member before you go speak to them. Check out requirements on the independent study home page.

How do I get permission to take more than 18 credit hours in a semester?
You need to get the form called Additional Hours Request, either from the Registrar's office or the department office. Fill out the form and get the Department Chair to sign it.

Back to Top


How do I join Psych Club?
You should contact the club's advisor, Dr. Creeley, or you can contact the officers of the club. Their names are listed on the Psych Club home page, and are also posted on the Psych Club bulletin board across from the Psychology Department Office.

What is Psi Chi?
Psi Chi is the national honor society in Psychology that is affiliated with the American Psychological Association.

How do I join Psi Chi?
You should contact one of the organization's co-advisors, Dr. Croxton or Dr. Klonsky.

How do I get involved in volunteer work?
Join Psych Club and/or Psi Chi. Both organizations are involved in doing volunteer work in our community. You can also find out about volunteer positions through the Volunteer Services Office, which is located in G115 Williams Center.

Back to Top

Changing/Declaring a Major or a Minor

How do I declare a major or a minor?
Complete the process on the Registrar's website about how to add a major or minor.  You will be making the request of the Chair of the department in which you want to add the major or minor.  Please remember that students completing the BA in Psychology need to complete a minor in another discipline (i.e., not in Psychology).  Students who are in the Psychology BS program do not need to complete a minor.  

How do I add a second major?
To add a second major, you will send an email from your Fredonia email account to the Department of the Major you would like to add.  The template for what to write in the email is located on the website for the Registrar's Office. Once processed, the Registrar's Office will send you an email confirmation of completion. 

To delete an additional major, you will send an email to the Registrar's Office at  The email template is provided on the website of the Registrar's Office

Back to Top

Graduate School Questions

How do I register for the GRE?
Go to This website includes information about cost, locations, and format of the GRE tests.

Where can I go to find out more information about graduate school?
Talk with your advisor and also check for Psych Club meetings on this topic. There are also some books about graduate school in the department office that you can check out.

Back to Top


Can I change my advisor?
Yes. You need to first get the permission of the faculty member who you would like to be your advisor. Once the advisor gives his/her permission, go see the Psychology department secretary and the secretary will complete the process electronically for you to have the new advisor. If you want to change your advisor, and do not have a specific replacement in mind, just go to see the department secretary, and the secretary will assist you in selecting a new advisor.

Where do I go if I need help with a personal problem (like my roommate or my boyfriend/girlfriend!)?
Go to the Counseling Center, LoGrasso Hall.

Where do I go for help with financial aid?
Go to the Financial Aid Office, 209 Maytum Hall.

How do I sign up for a Psychology experiment for my Intro Psych class?
Our experiment sign-up process is now all online. To learn more, go to our Research Homepage.

How do I find my classroom in Thompson Hall?
First of all, you need to know that there is an East side and a West side to the building, so look for the E or W also, not just the room number. Second, floor plans are posted near most stairwells.

How do I apply for graduation?
Fill out a form that is available from the Registrar's Office, which is located in the library. Applications must usually be filed by about the fourth week of the semester in which you expect to graduate.

How do I get an unofficial copy of my transcript?
Go to Your Connection and log into your student account. You should be able to access all of your records on-line.

I have other questions that I can't find the answer to here. What should I do?
You can ask your advisor in the Psychology Department. Advisors are usually very helpful! You might also check with the department secretary. Or you can email a current Psychology student, or email or stop by to see the chair of the department.

Back to Top

Take the next step