Resident Assistant (R.A.) Selection
Thanks so much for your interest in the Resident Assistant (R.A.) position at SUNY Fredonia! Residence Life is proud to employ 57 talented students as R.A.s. R.A.s are student leaders who develop communities of care and compassion in the residence halls. They also contribute to a sense of safety by upholding college policies and being available to help students in emergency situations.
If you think that these statements describe you, we encourage you to apply now for positions that start in January 2023! This web page includes the online forms that you will need, pictures of some current R.A. staff teams, a timeline of our search process, our compensation package for R.A.s, eligibility requirements, and a summary of job duties and responsibilities.
I. Application and Reference Forms
Note for R.A. candidates: This is the form that you should share with your references. You must provide 3 references in total -- your current Residence Director (R.D.), a current R.A., and an external source (e.g., a current or former employer, professor, teacher, internship supervisor, etc.).
II. R.A. Staff Pictures
III. Timeline and Important Dates | Spring 2023 R.A. Selection
- Monday, 9/26/2022: Applications and reference forms available;
- Monday, 10/3/2022: R.A. information session #1 (optional);
- Tuesday, 10/18/2022: R.A. information session #2 (optional);
- Friday, 10/21/2022: Application and reference form deadline;
- Saturday, 10/29/2022: R.A. interviews, in the Williams Center Multipurpose Room;
- Saturday, 11/5/2022: R.A. Group Process Day;
- Friday, 11/18/2022: R.A. candidates notified about the status of their application (e.g., hired, alternate, or not hired); and
- Thursday, 1/12/2023 - Wednesday, 1/18/2023: Spring 2023 R.A. Training.
- $4575.00/semester single room waiver;
- $200.00/semester meal plan allocation; and
- $600.00/semester stipend, paid in 4 increments.
V. Eligibility Requirements
- 2.25 cumulative Grade Point Average at time of application;
- 1 full semester living in Fredonia residence halls prior to the application due date; and
- Full-time student status (i.e., enrolled in at least 12 credit hours).
- Not student teaching; and
- Good student conduct standing (conduct standing for all candidates is reviewed shortly after the application deadline).
VI. Duties and Responsibilities (not an exhaustive list)
- Attendance at all R.A. Training sessions. In Spring 2023, R.A. Training is scheduled for Thursday, January 12 - Wednesday, January 18;
- Create community and connections amongst students on your floor and in your residence hall;
- Evening on-call shifts;
- 5 desk hours/week;
- Stay late for residence hall closings (e.g., Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, Spring Break, and Summer Vacation);
- Refer students to campus resources, such as the Counseling Center, Academic Advising, the Tutoring Center, and Financial Aid.
- Plan and facilitate 5 programs/semester; and
- Participate in Residence Life departmental projects, such as Buffalo News Kids Day.