Resident Assistant (R.A.) Hiring
Thanks so much for your interest in the Resident Assistant (R.A.) position at SUNY Fredonia! Residence Life is proud to employ 47 talented students as R.A.s. R.A.s are student leaders who develop communities of care and compassion in the residence halls. They also contribute to a sense of safety by upholding college policies and being available to help students in emergency situations.
If you think that these statements describe you, we encourage you to apply now for positions that start in August 2024! This web page includes the online forms that you will need, pictures of our current team, a timeline of our search process, our compensation package for R.A.s, eligibility requirements, and a summary of job duties and responsibilities.
I. Application and Reference Forms
- Your current Residence Director (R.D.);
- A current Resident Assistant (R.A.) from any residence hall; and
- An external source (e.g., a current or former employer, professor, teacher, internship supervisor, etc.).
Since candidates are responsible for securing their own references, we suggest that you share the Google form (click on the blue REFERENCE FORM button) with your references directly.
The deadline for both the application and the reference form submissions is Thursday, February 15.
II. R.A. Staff Pictures
The Residence Life team in August 2023!
III. Timeline and Important Dates
- Wednesday, 12/6/2023: Applications and reference forms available;
- Monday, 1/29/2024: R.A. information session #1 (optional) | 7:30 - 8:30pm;
- Tuesday, 2/6/2024: R.A. information session #2 (optional) | 7:30 - 8:30pm;
- Thursday, 2/15/2024: Application and reference form deadline;
- Saturday, 2/24/2024: R.A. interviews;
- Sunday, 2/25/2023: R.A. Group Process Day;
- Friday, 3/8/2024: R.A. candidates notified about the status of their application (e.g., hired, alternate, or not hired); and
- Wednesday, 8/14/2024 - Wednesday, 8/21/2024: Fall 2024 R.A. Training.
- $4875.00/semester single room waiver;
- $200.00/semester meal plan allocation; and
- $700.00/semester stipend, paid in 4 increments.
V. Eligibility Requirements
- 2.25 cumulative Grade Point Average at time of application;
- 1 full semester living in Fredonia residence halls prior to the application due date; and
- Full-time student status (i.e., enrolled in at least 12 credit hours).
- Not student teaching; and
- Good student conduct standing (conduct standing for all candidates is reviewed shortly after the application deadline).
VI. Duties and Responsibilities (not an exhaustive list)
- Attendance at all R.A. Training sessions. In Fall 2024, R.A. Training is scheduled for Wednesday, August 14 - Wednesday, August 21;
- Create community amongst students on your floor and in your residence hall;
- Evening on-call shifts;
- 4 desk hours/week;
- Stay late for residence hall closings (e.g., Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, Spring Break, and Summer Vacation);
- Refer students to campus resources, such as the Counseling Center, Academic Advising, the Tutoring Center, and Financial Aid.
- Plan and facilitate 3 programs/semester;
- Facilitate 1:1 student connectors; and
- Participate in Residence Life departmental projects, such as Buffalo News Kids Day and the R.A. Selection process.