Resident Assistant (R.A.) Selection
Thanks so much for your interest in the Resident Assistant (R.A.) position at SUNY Fredonia! Residence Life is proud to employ 57 talented students as R.A.s. R.A.s are student leaders who develop communities of care and compassion in the residence halls. They also contribute to a sense of safety by upholding college policies and being available to help students in emergency situations.
If you think that these statements describe you, we encourage you to apply now for positions that start in August 2023! This web page includes the online forms that you will need, pictures of some current R.A. staff teams, a timeline of our search process, our compensation package for R.A.s, eligibility requirements, and a summary of job duties and responsibilities.
I. Application and Reference Forms
- Your current Residence Director (R.D.);
- A current Resident Assistant (R.A.) from any residence hall; and
- An external source (e.g., a current or former employer, professor, teacher, internship supervisor, etc.).
Since candidates are responsible for securing their own references, we suggest that you share the Google form (click on the blue REFERENCE FORM button) with your references directly.
The deadline for both the application and the reference form submissions is Friday, February 10.
II. R.A. Staff Pictures
III. Timeline and Important Dates | Spring 2023 R.A. Selection
- Monday, 1/9/2023: Applications and reference forms available;
- Tuesday, 1/31/2023: R.A. information session #1 (optional) | 7:30 - 8:30pm in Science Center 122;
- Monday, 2/6/2023: R.A. information session #2 (optional) | 7:30 - 8:30pm in Science Center 122;
- Friday, 2/10/2023: Application and reference form deadline;
- Saturday, 2/18/2023: R.A. interviews, in the Williams Center Multipurpose Room;
- Saturday, 2/25/2023: R.A. Group Process Day;
- Friday, 3/10/2023: R.A. candidates notified about the status of their application (e.g., hired, alternate, or not hired); and
- Wednesday, 8/9/2023 - Wednesday, 8/16/2023: Fall 2023 R.A. Training.
- $4875.00/semester single room waiver;
- $200.00/semester meal plan allocation; and
- $700.00/semester stipend, paid in 4 increments.
V. Eligibility Requirements
- 2.25 cumulative Grade Point Average at time of application;
- 1 full semester living in Fredonia residence halls prior to the application due date; and
- Full-time student status (i.e., enrolled in at least 12 credit hours).
- Not student teaching; and
- Good student conduct standing (conduct standing for all candidates is reviewed shortly after the application deadline).
VI. Duties and Responsibilities (not an exhaustive list)
- Attendance at all R.A. Training sessions. In Fall 2023, R.A. Training is scheduled for Wednesday, August 9 - Wednesday, August 16;
- Create community and connections amongst students on your floor and in your residence hall;
- Evening on-call shifts;
- 5 desk hours/week;
- Stay late for residence hall closings (e.g., Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, Spring Break, and Summer Vacation);
- Refer students to campus resources, such as the Counseling Center, Academic Advising, the Tutoring Center, and Financial Aid.
- Plan and facilitate 5 programs/semester; and
- Participate in Residence Life departmental projects, such as Buffalo News Kids Day and the R.A. Selection process.